IUI 4 was a bust so I scheduled an appt to see Dr S to see what she thinks we should do next.
Of course I was on CD5 when I went in so nothing was going to be able to happen and we would have to take a cycle off but I am kind of okay with that!
She was happy with the follies I was producing with both Clomid and Femara and also said that our counts had been consistently good from E so she was kind of bummed that it hadn't happened yet. She was also concerned because of our age we really shouldn't be waiting around for it to happen.
Our options per her were to move on to IVF, and she talked me through the whole process, which as of yet I am unsure I am ready to move onto. Or we could try to do another IUI cycle or two with injectibles. Since they can control the hormones a little better and get a better quality egg/eggs out of the cycle. The chance of multiples is a little higher but not by much.
She asked which I thought I would like to do and I told her I was leaning toward trying another IUI because I wasn't ready to commit to IVF at that point. She seemed okay with that but seemed like she didn't want us to wait too much longer before moving on.
So the nurse comes in and walks me through everything I need to do before my next cycle starts, which included calling the insurance to make sure I was covered and that the meds would be covered. So I put it off a day or two and finally called the insurance company. I started giving the girl the procedure codes and she was quiet for a minute and then asked if it all the appointments were related to infertility treatment and I told her yes. She was quiet again for a minute and then said "I am so sorry to have to tell you that you have already met your lifetime max of $5,000 for infertility treatments" I didn't know how to respond. She apologized again and then told me that means the meds wouldn't be covered either. She kept saying sorry. I had a feeling since our previous couple IUIs had been covered and I didn't know how much coverage we had.
So I started to call pharmacies and they all said they didn't want to tell me how much the meds would be, dang they are expensive! But Freedom Pharmacy had the cheapest prices by far. So I called back to the RE office and asked them if they could call me in a lower dose to save money since I would be out of pocket and she told me that wouldn't be a problem she would call in the 450IU instead of 900IU so $444 instead of $888.
So that night I had to tell E that this cycle wouldn't be covered. So he asked how much it would cost. My estimate based on the printouts I had gotten was showing including meds it would be anywhere from $4000 to $8000 depending on how many U/Ss and blooddraws. I think he was going to crap his pants. I told him that it would be cheaper than IVF and we would try it once and see. He told me he just wished there was a guarantee that if we spent that much money we would get a baby. I agree but what are we going to do
No comments:
Post a Comment